Date: 6/26/17 2:12 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk

A large group assembled for today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  We had an exciting morning with a spirited debate over the identity of an immature Night Heron.  The bird has been in the Park for several days with fairly equal declarations of Yellow-Crowned or Black-Crowned Night Heron.  We believe this is a Yellow-Crowned based on the photographs included in the E-Bird report submitted for this outing.  Other highlights include a Warbling Vireo (unusual for Huntley Meadows), and the full compliment of woodpeckers found at Huntley in the summer.

Canada Goose  19
Wood Duck  13
Mallard  8
Hooded Merganser  1
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron  6
Great Egret  1
Green Heron  8
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  6
Chimney Swift  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  5
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Acadian Flycatcher  5
Eastern Phoebe  3
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Eastern Kingbird  5
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Tree Swallow  14
Barn Swallow  3
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  6
Carolina Wren  5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  6
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  20
Gray Catbird  6
European Starling  3
Cedar Waxwing  1
Prothonotary Warbler  4
Common Yellowthroat  3
Eastern Towhee  1
Scarlet Tanager  2
Northern Cardinal  8
Indigo Bunting  3
Red-winged Blackbird  35
Common Grackle  24
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
Orchard Oriole  1
House Finch  7
American Goldfinch  4

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park