Date: 6/26/17 8:44 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Short-tailed Albatross 2 NM off Yaquina Bay on June 18
*
Gabrielson and Jewett included this species in Birds of Oregon based solely on the archŠological record. The current world population
is perhaps under 400, but growing steadily. At least one pair has recently nested in the Leeward Islands of Hawaii. When a species takes
ten years to mature, lays one egg every other year, it isn't going to mushroom in numbers as we have seen with Western Canada Geese
in western Oregon and Washington. But this photo gives me hope that my grandchildren might be able to expect a look at Short-tailed
Albatross during a casual trip to the coast. Lars
On Jun 25, 2017, at 10:08 PM, Jeff Gilligan wrote:

> Great photo. In regard to the comment about it being found so close to shore, it is likely that the species is the least pelagic of the three albatross species that include the Oregon coast as part of their regular range. While by no means restricted to close-in range, there is evidence from when the species was common, that they came near shore with some frequency. This is demonstrated by the bones and bone fragments of the species being found in kitchen middens left by first peoples along the Oregon coast and elsewhere along the Pacific coast of North America. Before the species was almost made extinct by feather hunters at their nesting islands near Japan, there were also occurrences near the docks of cannery row at Monterey, CA.
>
> That their numbers have dramatically increased, though slowly, is one of the great bird conservation victories.
>

>> On Jun 25, 2017, at 9:46 PM, Range Bayer <range.bayer...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While fishing with family on June 18, Scott Heppell's son Dylan
>> spotted and photographed a Short-tailed Albatross about a mile south
>> of the mouth of Yaquina Bay, 2.03 nautical miles from the beach. A
>> cropped and reduced photo of the original is attached.
>>
>> Rob Suryan (who has extensively studied Short-tailed
>> Albatrosses--search for Suryan at
>> https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/Assets/nationalseabirdprogram/stal_recovery_plan.pdf)
>> saw the original photo and confirmed that it was a Short-tailed and
>> writes "A pretty amazing sighting so close to Newport. Wonder if came
>> in looking for food or followed a fishing boat in. . . . Head looks
>> like HY, but body seems a little light. Also the HY birds generally
>> do not get to the N. Am west coast so quickly."
>>
>> Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.
>> <STAL-Reduced.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!