Date: 6/25/17 3:21 pm
From: 'Pat Durkin' <pat.durkin...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET The Eagle Who Tried to Check-in to a Chicago Hotel
Hello to All,

Remember the first year, female, American Bald Eagle who tried to check into
the Sofitel Hotel, along Chicago's downtown lakefront, in the middle of
June, without a reservation?

I thought that you may be interested in a Facebook post by the great folks
at Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, located near Chicago, in
Barrington, IL who are providing care to Herself, and hoping for a release
back into the wild, but not back into Wild Chicago.

This is their Facebook Post dated June 14, 2017:

"UPDATE: As we suspected, the test results from the Bald Eagle confirm that
she has an underlying health condition called aspergillosis, which is a
fungal infection of the respiratory system. She also has elevated liver
enzymes.

Upon admission, she displayed no symptoms consistent with head trauma from a
building or window collision so we had our doubts regarding the accuracy of
the original report. She probably grounded initially solely due to her
compromised respiratory condition but bystanders understandably assumed that
she had hit the building.

We are treating her for her underlying medical conditions and we expect her
medical care to take at least 1-2 months. Please keep her in your thoughts!

ORIGINAL POST: The Bald Eagle that reportedly crashed into a hotel in
downtown Chicago is alert this morning. We treated her for an extremely high
ectoparasite load and are running some blood work that will enable us to
assess her overall health. We want to make sure that there are no underlying
health issues that may have contributed to the extremely high ectoparasite
load."

Patricia Durkin

Chicago

Join us on Facebook!