Date: 6/25/17 11:42 am
From: Shea Tiller via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Cormorant at AT James River Footbridge in Amherst County
Hello, all.

This morning I saw a double-crested cormorant at the Appalachian Trail
James River Foot Bridge, which is a rare sighting for the mountains/valleys
portion of VA, especially outside of migration. It perched on a boundary
marker out in the river (the third from the left, looking toward the
parking lot). It then flew down the river. As I was driving back towards
Big Island, I saw the cormorant drying its wings on a boundary marker in
the river closer to the road.

While it seems unlikely that the bird will remain in sight of the foot
bridge, it is something to keep an eye out for if you're in that neck of
the woods.

eBird checklist with a photo:
https://ebird.org/ebird/atlasva/view/checklist/S37792846

Good birding,