Date: 6/25/17 11:38 am
From: Craig <tnemec1...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Anhinga-Jackson Co.
Spent part of Friday and most of Saturday on the Big Muddy Levee in Jackson County searching for Anhinga (and BBWD).

Was rewarded with an Anhinga in flight on Saturday at 2:30.

I was following up on the most recent report; Dan Kassebaum on 6/18 (photograph). One was also seen earlier this year along the Big Muddy by Jim...????

There was one photographed in Union Co. in April (?) and other reports earlier this spring along the Post Creek Cutoff near Heron Pond in Johnson Co.

It was tedious birding, checking logs and low branches for sunning birds, checking soaring birds and looking for a "snake head" swimming in the water. I really didn't expect to find one......

Dan's bird was on the Levee east of Rt. 3. Around 2 Saturday afternoon I decided to look west of Rt. 3.

Caution: West of Rt 3 on levee (at Union Co. line, in Jackson Co.), levee goes into Missouri, then back into Illinois. Levee is called Island Rd. on Google maps. After my Great Googly Moogly(!!!) moment I had an "aw crap where am I" moment.

But Google Maps had me just inside Illinois as did eBird. The Anhinga flew north towards Grand Tower.

Sent from my cellular device

Craig Taylor

Posted by: Craig <tnemec1...>

<*> Your email settings: