Date: 6/24/17 3:23 pm
From: Larry Meade via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] NVBC on Skyline Drive
Today, 23 members of the Northern Virginia Bird Club explored the Limberlost Trail and a few other spots along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Conditions were a bit windy which may have kept numbers down a bit, but we still had a nice day out birding. At Limberlost we found many American Redstarts, several Veery and Blue-headed Vireos, Black and White Warblers and a couple of Broad-winged Hawks. The Veery and Vireos were confirmed as breeders and I later included them in the Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas 2. At Skyland we had lunch and enjoyed singing Dark-eyed Juncos and Eastern Bluebirds. We then headed back north and stopped at some spots along the way. At Stony Man Overlook we found a Chestnut-sided Warbler carrying a caterpillar to a probable nest site. He gave everyone a nice view as he sang and went about his business. At Pinnacles Picnic area we found Great-crested Flycatchers carrying food and a recently fledged Dark-eyed Junco. Our last stop was Jewell Holl
ow Overlook where we had good looks at a singing Veery and a Brown Thrasher. One of the highlights of the trip happened when two male Scarlet Tanagers perched up fairly close to each other at the same time. We also found a fledged White-breasted Nuthatch here.

Larry Meade
Vienna, VA