Date: 6/24/17 1:35 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Plum Creek Forest Preserve In Cook County Saturday 6-24-17
Hello Bird People,

Every year I make a June visit to Plum Creek F.P. (the Cook Co one not
the Will Co one) & so today was the day. I usually wait until the Josh
E field trip to this place has taken place as then I have some idea
what to expect although there's no way I'll ever see all the birds he
finds.

Parked at the main lot & walked south on the loop trail closest to
Bunham Rd. Next I covered the shrub/scrub area followed by crossing
Burnham & covering the large grassy field. Then back through the
shrub/scrub area to get back on the loop trail where I walk back to
the lot on the eastern part of the loop trail. The scrub/shrub area is
very hard to walk as horses have been using the path causing it to be
very uneven & mud filled in some places. Walked a full hour in the
grassy field with grass up to my waist (almost no paths there this
year) but did not become tick food as no ticks were found, at least so
far. Here's my day list:

Plum Creek F.P. (7:15-11:15 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1 fly-by)
Turkey Vulture (5-6 soaring above)
Red Tailed Hawk (1 or 2)
Caspian Tern (1 flew over a small pond)
Mourning Dove (2)
Chimney Swift (1 fly-by)
Ruby Throated Hummers (1 or 2 males)
Red Bellied (2), Downy (1) & Hairy (1-F) Woodpeckers
Flicker (heard 1)
Eastern Pewee (heard 4)
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER (heard 1 same place as last year but could not see
it although I tried)
Eastern Phoebe (2 with a nest on the picnic shelter)
Barn Swallows (15-17 hunting over the lawns)
Chickadee (4)
TUFTED TITMOUSE (2)
W.B. Nuthatch (heard 2)
House Wren (10-12, including a few feeding young with wide open mouths)
CAROLINA WREN (heard 1 singing loudly but in a place I could not get too)
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher (2)
WOOD THRUSH (heard 2 singing)
Robins (9-10, most on the lawns)
Gray Catbird (8-9)
Brown Thrasher (heard 1)
Starling (group of 4)
Cedar Waxwing (groups pf 2 & 4)
WHITE EYED VIREO (1 singing in the shrub/scrub area as usual)
Yellow Throated Vireo (heard 1)
Warbling Vireo (heard 1)
Red Eyed Vireo (3)
Yellow Warbler (heard 1, should have been more?)
Common Yellowthroat (9-10)
Cardinal (3-4)
Indigo Bunting (4)
Dickcissel (1 or 2)
Eastern Towhee (about 10)
Field Sparrow (10-12)
HENSLOW'S SPARROW (8 singing of which I got to see 4)
Song Sparrow (4)
Eastern Meadowlark (5-6)
Grackle (1 fly-by)
Cowbird (6-7)
Goldfinch (4)
House Sparrow (2)

No Bobolinks or Sedge Wrens anywhere this year & although I think Josh
& Co had Grasshopper Sparrows I found none probably as I can't hear
them! Josh mentioned that he found no Chats or Blue Winged Warblers in
the shrub/scrub area & I didn't find any either. I also thought
finding only 1 Yellow Warbler was a low count for this place.

Bird-Of-The-Day surely will be the White Eyed Vireo which was hard to
see, although not hard to hear, at 1st but eventually gave great
looks. Next best birds were the Carolina Wren & the Acadian Flycatcher
but I never saw either so no awards for them today. Therefore
Runners-Up will go to the Henslow's Sparrows, the Ruby Throated Hummer
or Hummers & the 1 Tufted Titmouse I saw really well. .

This is a nice place, too bad it's fairly far away.

Al Stokie
Stalking the White Eyed Vireo in far S.E. Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: