Date: 6/23/17 10:31 pm
From: Marion Warren <mwarrion...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Fantastic Drive Around Eastern Arapahoe County
Hello, John and I had Friday to go birding.  The choice was to drive up to Boulder and look for the Bobolink and Dickcissels atTeller Farms or drive around Eastern Arapahoe County.  Our great choice was Arapahoe Countywhere traffic was almost zero.  Wedreaded getting into the traffic on the way to Boulder. We drove the Jewell-Yale Loop and then went east to a routedesigned by Richard and Rebecca Stevens. With our printed Arapahoe County map with many gpspoints provided by Richard we went. The few birds along the Jewell-Yale Loop included three Redtailed Hawks, two American Kestrels and a scattering of Lark Sparrows. Once on QuincyAvenue, Arapahoe county road 30 we first found the Burrowing Owl at a half mileeast of county road 149.  A Cassin'sKingbird and Grasshopper Sparrow were within a tenth of a mile east of there;before the oil tanks. When we stopped at Bradbury Road and Quincy, the entrance to the ArapahoeCounty Open Space, a Cassin's Sparrow was on the gate.  We managed a couple of photos before thesparrow flew off.  He circled overhead singinghis mating song and then dropped down 20 yards into the Open Space.  By the way, the Open Space is closed to thepublic. Many Lark Sparrows are mating as well as half a dozen LarkBuntings in the Open Space.  We stayedabout an hour enjoying the bird songs. The Cassin's Sparrow did not fly back up.  We returned west to county road 161 and drovesouth to county road 42. At county road 42 we drove east to the infamous hillcut.  A pair of Cassin's Kingbirds was inthe first grove of cottonwoods east of county roads 42 and 161; previouslyreported. A Northern Mockingbird sang constantly at the hill cut.  A second Northern Mockingbird cane from thesouth side of the road and joined him.  ACassin's Kingbird was also there.  Allwere previously reported. We continued east along county road 30 to east Bijou Creek,stopped and walked around.  A Red-headedWoodpecker was about 30 yards south of the road and 20 yards east of Bijou. Then we returned west to county road 42 and then back northto county road 30.  Several GrasshopperSparrows and many Lark Buntings were counted along the drive.  We thought it a little strange that after wehad crossed county road 30 at 139 our kingbird count was eleven Cassin'sKingbirds and only two Western Kingbirds. Five Loggerhead Shrikes and two Bullock's Orioles were also seen. The Burrowing Owl was still on a fence post along countyroad 30, half mile east of 149. At county road 30 and 129 we drove south.  We stopped at Orchard Road and 30 where a Dickcisselwas on the telephone wires on the east side of county road 129.  He sang away and a second Dickcissel joinedhim.  We heard a third Dickcissel singingsomewhere behind us but did not want to get out of the car and scare the birdsaway, so did not see the third Dickcissel. One of the Dickcissels on the telephone wires flew south andlanded on the wires behind the gray house southwest of Orchard and 30. Our return route was county road 129 to county line road,then west to Inspiration Road,then north to Smoky Hill Road.  That added another four Loggerhead Shrikes, aGrasshopper Sparrow, many additional Lark Sparrows and a few more Lark Buntingsto our list. I hope nothing has been forgotten.  Thanks Richard and Rebecca for a greatday.  The cooler weather did nothurt.  Only 66 today after 99 just twodays ago! Marion and John Warren