Date: 5/19/17 11:07 am
From: 'Tom Edell' <TEdell...> [slocobirding] <slocobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Western X Clark's Grebe, Whale Rock Reservoir, 5/19
I returned to Whale Rock Reservoir this morning hoping to see progress on
the Western x Clark's nesting I observed on 1 May. No adult at the nest, but
a Western and Clark's seen swimming together had one chick. I first saw the
pair swimming together with the chick on the Clark's Grebe back, but a while
later the chick switched over to the Western Grebe's back. As I mentioned
previously, I saw a Clark's and Western Grebe copulate at the reservoir many
years ago. It'll be interesting to see what this chick looks like when full
grown.

There were also two Clark's Grebe pairs with young chicks on the back of one
adult, one with two and the other with three chicks. Two very young American
Coot chicks were also seen today. I did not hear or see a Yellow-breasted
Chat or any rails this morning.

Heavily cropped photos of the pair and presumed hybrid chick are on the
checklist linked below.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S36983934

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA