Date: 5/19/17 9:25 am
From: Antonio, Robert J. <anto...>
Subject: Burcham: Friday
It was a nice morning along the Kaw despite variable weather and especially heavy train traffic. I listed 50 species and a few migrants.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - FS1 calling & showed itself.

Yellow-throated Warbler - 1 singing at first stream and moving southward & back
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1 singing in the same tree - think I had both in sight at the same time at one point
Prothonotary warbler - 2 - best observation of the morning was watching the female Prothonotary work the underside of leaves and devouring insects on vined growth at the base of 3 trees below SE of the south stream. She allowed me to approach about 15 feet and was unfazed by my presence; she patiently operated doing her Audubon contortions as if I was not present. Quiet beautiful it was. Wonder if she just arrived or has already been with the nearby male.
Yellow Warbler - 15+ lots of notes
Wilson's warbler 1 singing
Northern Parula - 2 singing
American Redstart - 1 singing
Tennessee Warbler - 1 singing emphatically

Swainson's Thrush - 16 heard more song from them today than I have all spring
Yellow-=throated Vireo - 1

Did not hear the Scarlet or Summer Tanager this morning. Heard my first Common Nighthawk in downtown Lawrence last night. Bill Staples, who lives downtown, said they have been there for about two weeks.

Bob Antonio
Lawrence

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to