Date: 5/19/17 8:19 am
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Nesting flickers
Way to keep on those rare breeders!
Steve Phillips when with the presidio found this pair 3-4 years ago. I know I had and reported one last spring. I also had a late one in Mclaren park along the fire road above the golf course. They could breed there too. Interestingly they are still common breeders in exotic woods in Kirby Cove headlands. They were common breeders as my SF bird teacher Mary Louise Rosegay told me. My theory is Argentine ants have done in their native food sources. Native bugs have suffered a huge hit in my lifetime in SF.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 18, 2017, at 4:56 PM, Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Flicker nesting in SF is indeed significant. A confirmation of breeding at this site (near the "War Memorial") was confirmed on May 6th of this year with an observation of an adult carrying a fecal sac indicating the presence of a brood, and reported on the listserv as well as eBird.
>
> Much like the recolonization of the Presidio (Lobos Valley) by Western Bluebirds over a decade ago, the return of Flickers as breeding birds appears to be a response to habitat restoration (often simplistically criticized as "killing trees") a few years previously in the area being recolonized.
>
> Over and out,
> Dominik Mosur
> San Francisco
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 18, 2017, at 16:41, <flix...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>

>> This morning I observed a possible “breeding” pair of Northern Flickers at the War Memorial at the West end of the Presidio near the intersection of Kobbe and Washington. The birds called and the male presented long, close up views. The male was very showy, brownish back with black stripes and white rump, with striking head pattern with long down curved bill and red malar “moustache”, black breast-band and spotted belly. Later I was joined by David Assmann who told me that this sighting is significant as there has not been a recorded "breeding pair" in the Presidio in several years. As we chatted I asked him about any recent sightings of Olive-sided Flycatchers. No sooner than we acknowledged that this species is seemingly in decline then we spotted a single Olive-sided perched on a tall tree at the upper corner of Kobbe.
>>

>> As an aside the past two mornings I have observed numerous sightings of Hump-backed and possible Gray whales from the Coastal Bluffs trail.
>>

>> Good Birding,
>>

>> Felix Rigau

Join us on Facebook!