Date: 5/19/17 7:41 am
From: Bill Tice <ticebill7...>
Subject: [obol] Calliope this morning
At 0700 I was sipping tea while sitting at the kitchen table watching the
hummer feeder when a female Calliope Hummer came in twice. It was not too
difficult of an ID at 5-6 feet away - fine speckling on the throat, a tinge
of buff on the flanks, a thinner and slightly shorter bill than the many
rufous who visit, and a more dainty bird in general. She landed on the
feeder the 2nd time and, as expected, the wing-tips reached the end of the
tail. She stayed for maybe 20 seconds in which time I showed my wife, who
is not a really a birder, who could tell she was “different.” A nice way
to start the day! I then got the camera readied, but she has not returned
in half an hour.

--
Bill Tice

Birding: The best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores

Join us on Facebook!