Date: 5/19/17 7:24 am
From: <cjbabbitt...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Northeast Arizona
I spent a few days (5-16 through 5-18) birding in Northeastern Arizona. Some of the places visited and some of the species observed were the following:

Cameron including Cameron Seep and Tappan Spring (5-16-2017)

At the seep there was a singing Crissal Thrasher, Yellow-breasted Chat, Black-crowned Night-Heron and Canyon and Rock Wren. Tappan spring was quiet with the only passage migrant being a sole Dusky Flycatcher. [ empids were very scarce throughout the trip] In the courtyard at Cameron there were Cedar Waxwings, Black-headed Grosbeaks and Bullock’s Orioles in the fruiting mulberry tree. At one point the tree had up to eight Western Tanagers feeding on the mulberries.

Pasture Canyon

A hike into the canyon produced among other birds two Purple Martins, two calling Soras, a Black-throated Gray Warbler, Hammonds Flycatcher, Blue Grosbeak, Belted kingfisher and Peregrine Falcon. On the reservoir there was a flock of nine Ring-billed Gulls, White-faced Ibis, Green-winged Teal and all the expected Arizona-occurring swallows with the exception of Tree.

Cow Springs

There was a Snowy Egret, Black-necked Stilt and several Gadwalls and Redheads.

Many Farms Lake (5-17-2017)

There was a Snowy Plover (photo), Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet as well as an adult and first winter California Gull. There were many fewer Western Grebes than previously with only a handful being counted.

Tsaile Lake

This small lake was covered by what I estimate were between 1500 and 2000 Violet-green Swallows in passage. There were about 50 Western Grebes and a sole Black-necked Stilt. The juniper woodland produced Gray Flycatcher and Juniper Titmouse. Dine College serves a great Navajo taco.

Chinle

On 5-16 and 5-17 there were the usual good numbers of Cedar Waxwings, American Robins and Bullock’s Orioles at cottonwood campground. A Western Screech Owl was calling during the night on 5-16. On 5-17 the winds, which were strong throughout the trip, really began to blow. I awoke on the morning of 5-18 with three inches of snow on the ground.

Ganado Lake

The highlight at Ganado Lake was a flock of six Black Terns in gorgeous breeding plumage as well as a single Franklin’s Gull. Duck species included a Common Merganser, Bufflehead and American Wigeon. There was an Olive-sided Flycatcher, Townsend’s Warbler and Warbling Vireo in the area.

Hubbell Trading Post

There were American Goldfinches in the cottonwoods, a Scott’s Oriole, and MacGillivray’s Warbler.

Charles Babbitt
Phoenix
I will have lists posted later in e-bird