Date: 5/19/17 6:59 am
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Penacook migrants: Olive-sided Flycatcher, Cape May, etc.
78 species on this morning's toasty 6.5 mile walk around Penacook.

As others have noted, the number of actual migrant birds in recent days has
been quite small. In my three hours I tallied exactly 5: Olive-sided
Flycatcher, Northern Parula, Cape May Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, and
Blackburnian Warbler - and only one of each. All but the Blackpoll were
along Bog Road. A Yellow-throated Vireo behind Murray's Greenhouse on River
Road might also have been a migrant, but this species does breed locally in
scattered locations and only time will tell.

I've missed a few regular spring migrants on my survey so far this year, and
time is running out for them: Magnolia Warbler, Lincoln's Sparrow, and
White-crowned Sparrow (I've seen the letter elsewhere, just not on the
survey).

New arrivals in the neighborhood since last week include Eastern Wood-Pewee,
Alder Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird (finally), Veery, Canada Warbler, Scarlet
Tanager, and Indigo Bunting.

Stay cool,

Pam Hunt

Penacook, NH

"The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who have not viewed
the world."

- Alexander von Humboldt