Date: 5/18/17 12:15 pm
From: Ed Laster <elaster523...>
Subject: Re: Bird Specimens Catalogued (An Earl Newton story)
David,

Since you’ve detailed the connection between Earl Newton and Harold Hedges, I’d like to add a bit about Harold since you found the Roger Tory Peterson comment interesting.

I moved to Harrison, AR in 1998 and had a ‘tall slender man’ walking down the street tell me that the house wren, that had recently taken up residency in my newly placed bird house, had an unusual song. He tried to explain the difference but since I had just started birding (thanks to Jo Anne Rife and Sally Jo Gibson of Harrison) I had to go listen to my CD to learn what he meant. He lived a few blocks away and we became friends and I started going birding with him. Even at his age he had a keen ear for birds and admitted the Roger Tory Peterson comment.

As an example of how birding and a general love for the outdoors are connected for many of us, I want to comment on Harold and Margaret’s contribution to the establishment of the Buffalo National River. They were both avid canoe lovers and moved from KC area to Newton County in the early ‘60s to build a house on the upper Buffalo River. They were active conservationists and worked hard to protect the Buffalo.

Some may remember that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court came to Arkansas as a result of the debate over protecting the river and Harold is the one who took him on the river in a canoe. He once showed me a photo of them going under the low water bridge at Ponca with them both leaning back to clear the bridge.

The Hedges efforts to keep the Buffalo from being damed up came with a price. Their home overlooking the river was burned down and they lost most everything. They moved to Harrison in 1991 and lived a very meager life but continued to enjoy the Buffalo. I went with them a few times and I don’t think anyone enjoyed being on the river more than they did.

It is indeed very interesting that Harold & Margaret helped save the Buffalo, Earl Newton saved all those bird specimens and you saved images of perhaps one of the last Ivory-bills, all connected by a bird book.

Ed Laster
Little Rock

> On May 18, 2017, at 10:08 AM, David Luneau <mdluneau...> wrote:
>
> Dan, thanks for cataloging Earl Newton’s collection. I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago, and I thought I would share my story here of how I came to meet Earl and how he tied in to the Arkansas Ivory-bill story.
>
> Sometime in the early 1990s, the UALR library had a sidewalk book sale. I had just recently begun teaching there at that time. I wandered over to look through the books, and I saw a paperback titled Research Report No. 1 of the National Audubon Society: The Ivory-billed Woodpecker, by James T. Tanner, October 1942. I bought it for 50 cents. Even at the time, I thought it was a real bargain – it’s a first edition, after all, and it was 50 years old at the time. This was Tanner’s PhD thesis. He remains the only person to ever thoroughly study the life history of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, so most of what we assume about Ivory-bill distribution, feeding and breeding habits, etc., comes from this work.
>
> On the first page of the book was the following handwritten note:
>
> Congratulations Lieutenant!
> Happy Birthday!
> Merry Xmas!
> from your friends,
> Harold & Margaret Hedges
> Dec 18, 1942
>
> Intrigued by this, I asked Bill Shepherd about the Lieutenant and the Hedges. He said that the Hedges were both still alive and living in north Arkansas. He mused that a Lieutenant in 1942 might not still be with us. That proved to be an unfounded fear, thankfully.
>
> I located the Hedges’ phone number (pre-internet and Google, for those who can still remember those days) and called them. I spoke with Harold – I believe Margaret had the beginnings of dementia at that time. He told me, “Well, that must surely have been Earl Newton, now a retired Colonel.” Harold told me that Earl lived in North Little Rock, and he encouraged me to contact him.
>
> I read Tanner’s book, which got me interested in Ivory-bills. In the 1990s, the only hope for the species seemed to be that a few may remain in Cuba. I had thoughts that someday I might be able to travel to Cuba and search for Ivory-bills there, but at the time, Cuba was pretty much off-limits to U.S. citizens.
>
> Some years passed before I decided to contact Earl, but after David Kulivan’s Ivory-bill sighting in the Pearl River WMA in Louisiana and after I did some searching there, I decided to call him. On Dec 10, 2001, I talked with him. Here are the notes I took from that conversation:
>
> Talked to Earl. 83 years old. In a tank battalion in the army. Sent to New Guinea – no fighting. Then to Luzon. Book collector – donates many to UALR. Has skins collection – will buy a $1000 cabinet & donate to UALR or UAF. Harold – tall, slender man. Roger Tory Peterson said he was one of the best birders he knew. ~90 years old.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!