Date: 5/17/17 9:01 pm
From: Kate M. Chapman <kmc025...>
Subject: Re: Urban Birds of Fayetteville (and more kites)
I live in west Fayetteville; the back border of the property is Owl Creek,
and we have a pair of barred owls living here. I haven't seen a nest, but I
imagine they are nesting here as I have been hearing the pair regularly for
a few weeks. This evening, I saw one for the first time, flying out of a
tree when one of my less than ideal neighbors set off some firecrackers.
I'm hoping to locate the nest. Looks like it was a good day for birders and
barred owls. :)

Kate M. Chapman, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Psychological Science
235 Memorial Hall
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Email: <kmc025...>

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Mitchell Pruitt <
<0000000b4ac30a99-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Thanks to inspiration from Joe Neal, who was inspired by the book,
> *Subirdia* by John Marzluff, I’ve been enjoying some urban birds in
> Fayetteville this week. These have ranged from Yellow-throated Warblers
> singing on territories all over town, to Swainson’s Thrushes and Great
> Crested Flycatchers feeding on mulberries. Today’s urban adventure, led by
> Joe himself, was to a private yard north of Wilson Park that holds a
> special secret: a pair of Barred Owls. Though owls can be reliably seen in
> one of several tall pines, the nest has yet to be found. However, it is
> likely in the top of a tree whose crown went missing in the last ice storm.
> What's left of the crown is in such a viney tangle, that it is impossible
> to tell who may live there. Any day now, Barred Owlets might be seen
> standing around on the nest-tree’s branches. For now, the adults usually
> remain motionless during the day, occasionally stirring up a ruckus with
> local Blue Jays and Fish Crows.
>
> Today, some of the owls’ notable neighbors included a Gray Catbird,
> Swainson’s Thrush, ~30 Cedar Waxwings, Red-shouldered Hawks, and 3+
> Mississippi Kites soaring over the neighborhood and adjacent Wilson Park,
> where they have nested in years past.
>
> Happy urban birding,
>
> Mitchell Pruitt
> Fayetteville