Date: 5/17/17 2:23 pm
From: Gmail <butchchq8...>
Subject: Re: IMBD and Global Big Day
Actually, I never have seen any tallies from the IMBD/Big Day Challenge.

I was able to go out on Sunday, the day after. I started at Coler Preserve in Bentonville, moved on to Lake Bella Vista, then to Tanyard Creek Trail. This produced a variety of species totaling 39. Charlie Craig Fish Hatchery was pretty slow due to none of ponds being down, and there was only Spotted Sandpiper there representing shorebirds. Then I went to Eagle Watch in Gentry and Chesney Prairie. Bobwhites and Dickcissel where calling everywhere. I finished with another stop at Charlie Craig. 69 species was my count. The best birds of the day were Painted Bunting, juvenile Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Loggerhead Shrike, and a pair of Western Kingbirds all seen with clear view. The kingbirds were an especially pleasant surprise, even more so that they didn't mind my skidding to a halt and sliding 10 feet on a gravel road and quickly backing up to get a look a what had to be my imagination playing tricks on me. But there they were on a barbed-wire fence as plain as day. Score!

Yes, a good day of birding! I hope others enjoyed as much as I did.

Butch Tetzlaff
Bentonville

Join us on Facebook!