Date: 5/17/17 11:44 am
From: Dottie Boyles <ctboyles...>
Subject: IMBD and Global Big Day
This is a little late, but thought I would share anyway.

For International Migratory Bird Day and Global Big Day, Karen and Neill
Hart and I birded several locations around Pulaski County. We began our day
at the Hart house, where their resident Eurasian Collared-Dove made a flyby
appearance in time to be counted. We tallied 17 species before moving on to
Allsopp Park. Best birds there were Eastern Phoebe and Eastern Wood-Pewee.
I always love to hear pewees calling, it just sounds so cheerful.

Murray Park proved to be the most productive and after two hours we
tallied 32 species. Highlights included Bald Eagle, Red-headed and Pileated
Woodpeckers, a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Tennessee and Black-and-white
Warblers, a singing Warbling Vireo, and American White Pelicans. We watched
an Eastern Bluebird pair bringing nesting material to a hole in a dead
tree.

After seeing Bill Holiman and Samantha Scheiman’s ARBIRD-L post about a
Western Kingbird in downtown Little Rock, we decided to try our luck, but
the bird was a no show. Either that or it morphed itself in a Killdeer to
hide from us.

Heading on to Little Rock Port Authority (LRPA) and Fraizer Pike we found
two W. Kingbirds, one at LRPA and the other just before Damsite Rd. The W.
Kingbirds seem to be moving around the area this year. We also searched the
Custom Metals location, but no birds. However, Jim Dixon reported seeing
them there and near the “Merlin tree” later on. Lance Runion found the
birds in a different location Sat. afternoon. The heavy rain Friday night
created a small watering hole by the LRPA that 3 Spotted Sandpipers and a
Semipalmated Sandpiper were busy exploring. Apparently Eastern Kingbirds
are not very territorial as we spotted 7 lined up on a chain link fence,
then one flew and sat down next to a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. There were
still a few Bobolinks on Frazier Pike, but Dickcissels far outnumbered
them, unlike the weekend before.

At Willow Beach, while Karen was trying to locate a singing Orchard
Oriole, she discovered a female Orchard sitting on a nest. She showed it to
me and we quickly departed the area. We also saw three Baltimore Orioles.

We tallied 62 species for the day. Most common bird was European Starling
(52) followed by American Robin (35), they seemed to be everywhere. We saw
Mississippi Kites in five locations, including 6 at one time on Fraizer
Pike.

It was great day to be out birding for whatever the cause. Thanks Karen
and Neill for sharing your day with me! It was a lot of fun.
Dottie Boyles
Little Rock

Join us on Facebook!