Date: 5/17/17 8:47 am
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Cape May Warbler- Mercer Woods- 5/17
   As the subject implies I found a singing male CAPE MAY WARBLER on the Mercer Woods property this morning.  I took me about ten minutes to locate the high pitched songster, but after sifting through warblers in the locust, I was able to observe the bird.  This is the property's second record for this warbler.  It seems as though migration is finally beginning to pick up.  However a single YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER was also spotted in the same area.   Warblers appear to be partial to Honey Locust trees this time of year.  Perhaps a certain larvae is relished by the vanquished migrants on their way through.
  Other species today included....
Mercer Woods (restricted access), Douglas, Nebraska, US
May 17, 2017 8:14 AM - 9:53 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.09 mile(s)
Comments:    Cloudy. Temp 62F-69F.
31 species

Wood Duck  2
Mourning Dove  2
Chimney Swift  14
Downy Woodpecker  1
Least Flycatcher  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  2
Black-capped Chickadee  2
House Wren  1
Gray-cheeked Thrush  1    Slightly burry nyrrr call heard diagnostic of species.
Swainson's Thrush  2
American Robin  2
Gray Catbird  1
European Starling  1
Ovenbird  1
Tennessee Warbler  4
Cape May Warbler  1    Five or six high pitched seep notes with last lowering slightly in pitch.  Unmistakable yellow breast with heavy streaking. Chestnut auriculars. White wing panels.  Thin dark bill.  Recording made of song.  Photo taken.
Magnolia Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  7
Blackpoll Warbler  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  1
Wilson's Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Indigo Bunting  2
Common Grackle  5
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Baltimore Oriole  3
House Finch  4
House Sparrow  3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36932340
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!