Date: 5/15/17 9:36 am
From: Kara K Beach <islippednfell...>
Subject: Re: massive warbler kill
We each need to do what we can to make an impact.

For my part. my husband and I currently own about 53, mostly wooded acres.
We have two ponds. one is a small pond and the other is an acre and a half.

My cat is an indoor only cat and she is just fine with that.

We don't use pesticides or fertilizers. We have bird feeders out and bird
houses. Our bluebird babies fledged last week. Five or six of them. We
have wood duck boxes out but they haven't used them yet. Last year mama
wood duck and her chicks had a swim on the pond and left. A pair of blue
winged teal rested for a day on our pond this Spring and several wood ducks
came through. We even had a large flock of white fronted geese and three
ross' geese land during a foggy day in the fall and rest before moving on.

We plant as much native grasses, flowers, shrubs and trees as we can.

We had 10 acres burned this summer and about two acres cleared. One cleared
acre of it was planted with wildflowers for pollinators. The other cleared
acres and the fire breaks were planted with clover and other seed for quail,
dove, turkey and deer. We will be putting in two bee hives this year.

Other than clearing out some pin oak to get some nuttal and overcup in, we
will leave our trees alone (oak, hickory, short leaf pine mostly). We will
be putting in some fruiting trees for the deer and birds to feast on.

If as many of us as possible do our part, we will create sanctuaries where
all manner of living creature can thrive there and with any luck attract
rarities to visit.

I thank all of you that are doing your part with what you have.

Kara

Timbo