Date: 5/15/17 8:37 am
From: James Morgan <jlmm...>
Subject: Re: massive warbler kill
Don
Originally I thought about a consumption tax or surcharge for each
non-native plant that is used for landscaping in the county or city.
(punish the offenders)

But thought that tax credits or rebates for landscaping with native
plants would be more palatable.

The benefits to the budgets of counties/cities for implementing would be
in water and air quality (less mowing). Here in NW Arkansas where we
live on Beaver Reservoir water, there would be savings on water
purification - for human consumption and decreasing the total amount of
water consumption by using native plants.

Tax credit for having a lawn that is species diverse (no herbicides),
not mowed often or composed of native grasses is a little harder to
envision. Instead of getting fined for an un-mowed lawn, get a tax
credit. : )

After reading all of Joe Neal's posts about benefits of Virginia Creeper
& Pokeweed, I haven't been digging them out of the sheep pastures or
sheep fences

Jim Morgan
Fayetteville

On 5/15/2017 10:23 AM, Donald C. Steinkraus wrote:

> The deaths of birds due to mankind's buildings, windows, cats,
> pesticides, development, cars and trucks, is one of the most evil
> things we do as a species.
>

> I try in my own little way to help by putting up bird boxes on my
> property. This spring I have two nests of chickadees and two blue
> bird nests. I also try to plant native plants that support birds,
> caterpillars.
>

> But I am just one small person and we need millions of people helping
> birds.
>

> What is the answer to chem lawns, invasive plants, vast cities with
> their concrete towers and windows, all the cat lovers, developers? I
> don't know.
>

> Don

Join us on Facebook!