Date: 5/14/17 7:43 am
From: Clem Klaphake <ckavian...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Late report
Last Thursday (11th) I birded the Niobrara Valley Preserve. On my way
(May 10th) I stopped at a flooded field in Butler
County where there was a mix of species: Franklin's Gulls, Wilson's
Phalaropes, Sanderling, White-rumped Sandpipers,
Semipalmated Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs and 8
Cattle Egrets.

I stopped at a few other places but most sightings were fairly common.

The Niobrara Valley Preserve is located in both Brown and Keya Paha
Counties. Some of the roads were not passable because
of recent rains - if any of you have driven up in that part of the state
know that the dirt roads (gravel is rare) after a rain can be
dicey to drive on. A few highlights from the preserve:

- 9 Warbler species
- 2+ Eastern Whip-poor-wils (Common Poorwills not back since the 2012
fires)
- Both Rose-breasted and Black-headed Grosbeaks
- Upland Sandpipers on every other fence post
- Bobwhite Quail calling from numerous directions
- Yellow-breasted Chats everywhere - talk about confusion when they get
going along with Gray Catbirds and Brown Thrashers!!!

- Mammals: Porcupine (in a tree next to the cabin), raccoon, deer,
cottontails, coyotes yipping every evening and morning.

At Spencer Dam on the Holt/Boyd County line were:
- Piping Plovers, Sanderling, Least Sandpipers, Spotted Sandpipers, Bald
Eagle (feeding on a large fish).

Picked up 11 FOY species on this trip.

Clem Klaphake
Bellevue, NE