Date: 5/12/17 11:08 am
From: <flyingcarlini...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Wachiska Audubon field trips Sat. 5/13 & Sun. 5/14
Birders are treated to a brand new soundscape in springtime as winter's silence is replaced by the birdsong of feathered performers warbling and chirping their hearts out. Field trips on Wachiska Audubon's Birdathon weekend coincide with a window of time when unpredictable songs can be heard occasionally due to migrants moving through our area in the midst of residents still returning. The goal for this annual fundraiser is to compile a list of the maximum number of species that can possibly be observed as some donors base their pledge amount on the final species tally. Any birders can help meet this fun challenge by contributing their lists of species observed on May 13 & 14 at <office...> to maximize the final count. The two weekend field trips to unique habitats will offer additional opportunities to expand the list total while enjoying the sights and sounds of the natural world. The public is welcome. Recommended items to bring include water bottle, insect repellent, and binoculars if you have them. If you have questions call John at 402-475-7275.

Platte River State Park, Saturday May 13, 8:00 a.m.
Despite its handy proximity to Lincoln, the hilly terrain of this unusual state park offers habitat that attracts species more typically found in eastern forests. The "Big 5" species we hope to observe at this location are Louisiana Waterthrush, Tufted Titmouse, Summer Tanager, Scarlet Tanager, and Kentucky Warbler. Turn south at exit #426 from I-80 and follow S13E past South Bend to park entrance. We'll meet in the parking lot next to the restaurant and observation tower. A vehicle entry permit is required and a daily pass is available for $6.

Lincoln Saline Wetlands Nature Center, Sunday May 14, 7:30 a.m.
The rare Saline Wetlands of Lancaster County can attract a host of interesting species ranging from migrating sparrows to breeding rails. This unit is conveniently located in the middle of Lincoln and provides habitat for both wetlands and prairie species. We'll have our ears and eyes peeled for Marsh Wrens, Sedge Wrens, Soras, and Meadowlarks. From Sun Valley Blvd. turn west onto Westgate Blvd. and follow it to its union with W. Industrial Lake Drive. Turn west/left and continue a short distance to the gravel parking lot located just past the railroad tracks.

Join us on Facebook!