Date: 5/11/17 7:58 am
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Golden-winged Warbler- Orchard Hill Greenstrip 5/11
   This morning I birded both my property at Mercer Woods and Orchard Hill Greenstrip.  Orchard Hill yielded a lot more birds including a singing male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER.  Seven other warbler species were heard/observed including an OVENBIRD and a BLACKPOLL WARBLER.
    Yesterday morning (5/10) after the rains, I was rather disappointed in the lack of migrants that I expected to be "dripping" off of the trees.  With birds seeming a bit behind, and winds from the NNE, I suppose that is to be expected.  However a few highlights from yesterday's walk around Mercer Woods included....
-4 Blue-headed Vireo
-1 Red-eyed Vireo
-7 Swainson's Thrush
-5 Gray Catbird
-3 Brown Thrasher
-1 Tennessee Warbler
-1 American Redstart
-6 Yellow Warbler

Orchard Hill's Unusual Triller-
 While exploring Orchard Hill Greenstrip yesterday before the second round of morning storms began, I started to hear a very dry trill coming from an overgrown brushy slope.  As I mentioned, the trill was very dry, rapid fire fast paced, with intermittent pauses.  When I was able to get close enough to possibly get a recording, from behind me a van pulled up blaring Tejano music.  Shortly after this, the heavy rains and thunder started.
  The reason I bring this up is the dry quality and the pseudo-habitat (brushy overgrown "rocky" slope seemed perfect for a wayward WORM-EATING WARBLER.  However unfortunately I did not hear the bird again, and I never could find it.  For this reason I cannot rule out a rapid-fire CHIPPING SPARROW.  Even if I did obtain a recording, would it have been enough to rule out a rapid-fire Chipper?
Orchard Hill Greenstrip, Douglas, Nebraska, US
May 11, 2017 8:01 AM - 9:19 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.12 mile(s)
Comments:    Mostly cloudy. Temp 57F.  GWWA a nice surprise.
35 species

Turkey Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  1
Chimney Swift  8
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Least Flycatcher  3
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  1
Black-capped Chickadee  2
House Wren  2
Swainson's Thrush  5
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  2
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  4
Ovenbird  1
Northern Waterthrush  1
Golden-winged Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  3
Orange-crowned Warbler  8
Nashville Warbler  3
Yellow Warbler  5
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  2
Common Grackle  4
Baltimore Oriole  3
American Goldfinch  2
House Sparrow  3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36730819

Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!