Date: 5/11/17 7:00 am
From: <larryeinemannl...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Black-necked stilts at Lake Wanahoo!
Hi!
I am sorry about getting this out sooner. It has been busy and
hectic. I won't get the sightings of May 8, 9 and 10 added to ebird for a few
days as I was out-of-town since Monday. On my way back to Lincoln, I stopped
briefly at Lake Wanahoo on Wednesday afternoon, May 10, 2107. At the
sediment trap on O Road I found 2 black-necked stilts on the mud flats south of
the bridge. A scope was needed to see the stilts and other shorebirds. I
missed finding the black-necked stilt at Conestoga Lake on Monday,
although a number of birders searched the area on the morning of May 8, 2017.
That sighting was first reported on Sunday. There were many shorebirds on the
mudflats south of the road and a scope is needed to seed the shorebirds.
The strong cold wind from the north and the drizzle did not help in
viewing. The muddy road forced me to stay in the middle as the sides were very
smeary.
Migrants (warbler, vireos, etc.) were sparse; however, I had my first
blackpoll warbler, blue grosbeak and bobolinks in Cuming County.
Good birding!
Larry Einemann
Lincoln, Nebraska

In a message dated 5/10/2017 11:55:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
<NEBirds...> writes:

My dad and a friend of ours, both from Washington State, are on a visit to
do some birding with me. We hit Wilderness Park and the Lancaster County
Lakes today. Minimal success with warblers. Very few total individuals
and only the most expected 7 species. Very few vireos and missed a number of
species I would have expected on an average “May 10th”. Conestoga Lake
held MASSIVE numbers of shorebirds (16 species we noted) that were probably
kicked out the sky by the storms that passed through.
The only real highlight of the day was a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher at
Conestoga and the previously reported-by-others Scissor-tailed Flycatcher east
of Denton. Photos of the YB Flycatcher embedded in the eBird checklist
below.
Overall, we managed to find 120 species for the day.
Good Birding,
Michael Willison
Lancaster Co.

Join us on Facebook!