Date: 5/11/17 6:16 am
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA Upcoming Field Trips
Mark you calendars!  Below are the upcoming field trips sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas.  Everyone is welcome.  You don't have to be a member of ASCA, you just have to like seeing birds and spending time outdoors with lots of fun birding buddies.  If you have any questions about the trips, feel free to contact me off-list.  For more information about ASCA, what we do, our monthly meetings with terrific guest speakers, and read our informative quarterly newsletter, go to www.ascabird.org.Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorLittle Rock

June 3Warren PrairieNatural AreaHwy. 278- east ofWarren, ARMeet at 7:00 a.m. at the Dixon Road commuter lot, Exit 3 offI-530 south.  We should get to the Warren Prairie Natural Areaparking lot on Hwy. 172 around 9:00 a.m. for those who would like to meet usthere.  Our target bird is the Red-cockaded Woodpecker (RCW).  Theyoung fledge around the last part of May through mid-June, so RCW family groupsshould still be in the general cluster areas.  Warren Prairie is anArkansas Natural Heritage Commission site located in the Coastal Plain andconsists of a mosaic of saline barrens, salt slicks, post oak flatwoods,prairie mound woodlands, pine woodlands, and bottomland hardwood forestcommunities.  It is also a global National Audubon Society ImportantBird Area (IBA).  Bill Holimon, Natural Heritage ornithologist andChief of Research who manages the RCW population and its habitat, will join us. He will explain the history of the RCW project, provide an update on the statusof the project, and give an overview of the special features of the salinebarrens and the specialized plants and animals that inhabit this uniqueenvironment.

Bring scopes, boots, bug spray, water, sunscreen, andsnacks/lunch.  There are no bathroom facilities at the Prairie.  There is a McDonald’s inWarren.  From Warren, take U.S. Highway 278 East approximately 4.5miles, across the Saline River, to the junction of State Highway 172 (Old Hwy.8).  Turn right (south) and proceed 2.0 miles to parking lot and signon the left (east).  GPS coordinates are [33.57956, -91.98643] July 8Dr. Lester SitzesIII Bois D’Arc WMAHope, ARMeetat 7:00 a.m. at the south end of the commuter parking lot at the I-630/I-430intersection at Shackleford Road in Little Rock.  We’ll stop at the McDonalds in Hope (Exit 30off I-30) around 8:45 a.m. for those in south Arkansas who would like to joinus.  Look for  Great-tailed Grackles at McDonalds.  We should arrive at the Bois D’Arc WMA at9:15 a.m.  Our target birds will bePurple and Common Gallinules and their chicks, Least Bitterns, Anhingas,Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, herons, egrets, and possibly an alligator ortwo!  Very little walking will beinvolved.  Bring scopes, plenty of water,snacks, and lunch.  There are severalrestaurants in Hope if you prefer to eat lunch in town.  BoisD‘Arc WMA is located 10 miles south of Hope. Take Exit 30 off I-30 and go east. Continue past McDonald’s, then under the railroad overpass.  At the light at the big intersection, turnright onto Hwy. 67.  Go 1/3 of amile.  At the brown sign, turn left ontoHwy. 174.  Take Hwy. 174 south 6 miles tothe stop sign at Spring Hill.  Turn rightonto Hwy. 355.  Go west for 4 miles.  Turn right at the white wooden WMA sign justbefore the highway ends in the lake. Follow the paved road, then turn left onto the first gravel road and godown to the lake.  GPS: 33.558062,-93.694239 August 26Bald Knob NationalWildlife RefugeBald Knob, ARMeet at 7:00 a.m. in North Little Rock in the Other Center parking lot,on the east side behind McDonald’s.  TakeExit 1 west off US-67/167.  The OtherCenter is on McCain Blvd. across from McCain Mall.  We’ll arrive at Bald Knob NWR around 8:30a.m. for those who want to meet us there. Look for the line of cars parked on Coal Chute Road.  The federal refuge is also a National AudubonImportant Bird Area.  We expect to seeshorebirds, herons, night-herons, egrets, and possibly Wood Storks and RoseateSpoonbills.  It will be very hot so bringplenty of water, snacks, sunscreen, and a hat. If you have a scope, bring it. Very little walking will be involved. There is no bathroom on-site. There is a McDonald’s just off Hwy. 67/167 at Bald Knob Exit 55.  Go to www.fws.gov/baldknob/for driving directions and more information about the refuge.  GPS: 35.260233, -91.571903

Join us on Facebook!