Date: 5/9/17 9:51 pm
From: Dottie Boyles <ctboyles...>
Subject: Re: this coming Saturday, Benton Co
Daniel and everyone else I might have confused.

International Migratory Bird Day (IMBD), traditionally held the 2nd Saturday in May, is the signature program of the Environment for the Americas (EFTA) and has been around for years as a way to keep track of birds migrating from South American to breeding grounds in the United States and Canada. They also hold a similar event in October in South America for birds migrating from north to south. You can get more information by visiting their website at www.birdday.org. EFTA encourages birders to get out on IMBD and count the birds, groups to sponsor fun bird walks, etc.

Since a lot of people were already out birding for IMBD, Cornell Lab and eBird teamed up three years ago to hold the first ever Global Big Day (2015), where participants from ALL over the world were encouraged to enter their counts into eBird for one massive global tally. It was also a way to encourage birders to enter their data into the eBird database so more people could benefit from the results. On Global Big Day (GBD) no count is too big or too small. You can bird with a group, drive around the countryside, or just sit quietly in your own backyard, or all three! Cornell Lab then tallies all the eBird checklists from around the world and posts the results on their website. Last year 17,561 participants from across the globe, entered 47,531 checklists, of 6,332 species either seen or heard, all in a single day! There is a way to search through the eBird data, fairly easily to find out where your state and/or county is ranked, etc., by searching www.ebird.org/ebird/globalbigday.

And yes Daniel, in this case if you live in North America, there are two events the same day, basically doing the same thing, at the same time. Enter your finds into eBird, and you have covered both events at once, and yes backyards count along with any other places you’d like to explore. And you can spend as much or as little time, depending on your schedule. 15 minutes in the backyard is better than nothing.

Leif Anderson and other are still keeping up with migratory spring counts and if your particular county has s designated complier, you can still send them a list of your birds.

Basically, go out on May 13 and count birds for IMBD. Enter your data into eBird, and now you have participated in both IMBD and GBD events.

I’d like to see Arkansas move up from #45 out of 50 states. That ranking was based on the number of species seen or heard.

Hopefully this has helped and no one is totally confused by all this information.

Go Arkansas Birders!

Dottie

Little Rock