Date: 5/9/17 6:09 pm
From: Jacque Brown <bluebird2...>
Subject: Re: Urban birding
Butch, One of those areas you speak of is at Adams Rd and Anglin Rd in Vaughn, yes that Vaughn, recently shorebird Vaughn, also Great-tailed Grackle, and Swainson’s Hawk (not recently) Vaughn.

Most of the other areas nearby, West of the fish hatchery, on Shell Rd off hwy 12, and others, have resumed major development. But this corner, a pretty sizable area, I’d gestimate 5 acres or more, has not. Roads were graveled, manholes and culverts put in. Deterioration of graveled roads progressed after 2008. The place was becoming a dump area before one of the Dairy’s put a log across the entrance road. Still not accessible.

However, I was there a few years back Oct 10, 2010. A few years before the log across the entrance anyway. At any rate, I ran into Joe Neal with his great spotting scope. My one and only Nelson’s Sharp-tailed Sparrow was there. I know I’d have never found it on my own. Weedy acres rule!

Jacque Brown, Centerton
<bluebird2...>

> On May 9, 2017, at 7:43 PM, Gmail <butchchq8...> wrote:
>
> One of my obsessions is birding "urban" areas and seeing what can be found right under our noses.
>
> There is a 30 acre undeveloped piece of land just behind my house that is bordered by development on three sides and a cow pasture on the fourth. It has gone "naturalized" over the past 10 years as the developer has left it for dead, because is is too costly to put more housing on it (mostly flood plain).
>
> Today was another great day of urban birding: Blue Grosbeak; Red-eyed Vireo; Bell's Vireo; both orioles; Tennessee, Wilson's, Nashville, and Orange-crowned Warblers; and Lincoln's Sparrow were the highlights. In all, 31 species in an hour of birding. I've recorded 92 species on this property over the past 2 1/2 years.
>
> Hopefully it stays undeveloped and remains an avian haven.
>
> Butch Tetzlaff
> Bentonville

Join us on Facebook!