Date: 5/7/17 1:33 am
From: Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Eastern Kingbird fruit-catching
Two Eastern Kingbirds noisily fruit-catching (hover gleaning) in my mulberry tree this evening (6 May), first of the year.
I told my two research students that the birds spent the winter in the amazon eating mainly fruit; they eat fruit even during migration; and that they are about to switch to a mainly insect diet in North America.
Incidentally, it's surprising that there seems to have been just one formal study of mulberry frugivory in N. America--that was in Michigan in 1975 (Robbins et al., Jack-Pine Warbler Vol. 53. No.4).  I would have thought such a birdy spectacle would have been studied more. (In contrast, there are many studies of fig frugivory in the tropics).
KannanFt. Smith

Join us on Facebook!