Date: 5/6/17 2:40 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: DEEP IN THE HEART OF DEVIL’S DEN
Deep in rugged, relatively remote, heavily-forested Boston Mountains, Devil’s Den State Park always holds promise of interesting birds, and never more than over annual Birders Weekend, held midst spring migration. This morning’s field trip was in bottom lands along Lee Creek – campgrounds, picnic areas, trails, and surrounding mountains. We didn’t tally rarities of knock-your-socks-off variety, but even common birds, Turkey Vulture to Scarlet Tanager, make the trip worthwhile. Karen Garrett is leading several trips over the weekend, so a final weekend list will be more expansive than what I’m sharing here:

Canada Goose – parents tightly escorting 6 fuzzy hatchlings.

Turkey Vulture – perched on snags with their wings extended, catching early morning sunlight.

Broad-winged Hawk – a sudden whistled, a tight circling right overhead.

Chimney Swifts – the sudden twittering.

Eastern Wood-Pewee –pee er wees enliven the spring forest.

Least Flycatcher – che-bics.

Empidonax species – didn’t seem to be Least, but what?

Great Crested Flycatcher

Yellow-throated Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo – decent looks at that heavenly green back.

Gray-cheeked Thrush – in a quiet spot in the campground.

Swainson’s Thrush – all over the park, often the pip pip calls.

All of the warblers this morning: Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler (1), Black-and-white Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Kentucky Wartbler (1), Common Yellowthroat.

Summer Tanager, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Orchard Oriole (widespread in the park), Baltimore Oriole (1).

We were 15-20 birders, on a very busy Saturday. Our binoculars as badge of authority as we steadfastly pursued our official business of looking up into tree tops. Otherwise, my advice is avoid pretty spring weekends that are great for camping, mountain bike riding, and dog walking. Week days can be surprisingly quiet, just you and birds.

Join us on Facebook!