Date: 5/5/17 9:35 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Laurtizen Gardens, Etc. (Douglas Co.)- 5/05
   This morning Clem Klapake and I had a fairly early start birding Lauritzen Gardens.  A few species included....
-1 Solitary Sandpiper (Same area as last week)
-6 Warbling Vireo
-4 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
-2 Swainson's Thrush
-2 Black-and-White Warbler
-4 Nashville Warbler
-1 Blackpoll Warbler (FOY) (Singing male)
-1 Spotted Towhee
-1 Eastern Towhee
-2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak (FOY) (Males heard singing in canopy)
-2 Baltimore Oriole

    Later in the afternoon I made my way to Towl Park with the intention of heading further west.   Here I re-found the aforementioned hen RED-BREASTED MERGANSER.  I also came across a single NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH.  Many of the other species that I observed were to be expected.  An odd call was heard across from the narrow waterway.  It started out as a yelp-like chirp and continued with a downward trill decreasing in intensity.  After listening for about three minutes, I noticed a RED FOX ascending the hillside.  A very well fledged CAROLINA WREN was also observed with its parents.  While we are on the subject of family groups; upon my departure from Towl Park, I met Danny Magruder (?) and his mother who were making their way in to bird the park.
  I then proceeded to the 234th Street Wetlands.  A few species here included....
-2 American Bittern (A great look at a bird in flight, and another heard calling).
-1 Great Egret
-1 White-faced Ibis (FOY)
-1 Sora (Visual- actually flew out of the reeds).
-1 Eastern Kingbird (Detected on wires upon arrival).
-1 Marsh Wren
-8 Yellow-headed Blackbird (count may be low)
-5 Great-tailed Grackle (males)
On the way to this marsh, I noticed well over 1000 FRANKLIN'S GULLS in a vortex over a large private lake.
Heading toward the Valley area I also stopped by the 264th St. Wetlands (Salerno Marsh).  Here I observed three (3) BLACK TERNS (FOY), a handful of YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS, three (3) WILSON'S PHALAROPES (FOY), a flyby AMERICAN BITTERN, and various duck species.
  When dusk arrived, I made one more attempt at listening for nightjars along a certain side road off of Skyline Drive.  Unfortunately, no goatsuckers were audible.
All areas covered submitted to eBird.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!