Date: 5/5/17 4:43 pm
From: Alyssa DeRubeis <alderubeis...>
Subject: Chesney Prairie (Benton Co.)
My field season for my master's project has officially begun! Pooja Panwar,
Ross Shiery, and I checked out Stump and Chesney Prairies today in Siloam
Springs. In addition to typical grassland birds, we flushed and then got
good looks at a Virginia Rail along the creek at Chesney (and I'm pretty
sure I had one at Stump as well). According to Joe Neal's Chesney bird
list, this is a new one! Male Bobolink and Rose-breasted Grosbeak flew
over. A Marsh Wren skulked in the unburned area on the west side of the
property. A Prairie Warbler sang from a tree at Stump. We kept flushing a
pair of Northern Bobwhite and their old chick. White-crowned,
White-throated, Lincoln's, and Savanna Sparrows were all still quite
common. Lastly, I heard a couple of Common Nighthawks over Fayetteville
last night.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Fayetteville, Washington Co.