Date: 5/5/17 4:19 pm
From: Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Canopy Lodge, Panama, for the AAST
Hi all, I have ONE seat open for a female in the Canopy Lodge birding tour Dec 17-23, 2017, to raise funds for the Arkansas Audubon Society Trust.  Could you please help the trust by finding that one person for us?
Note that I have switched from Canopy Tower to the far more luxurious (and equally birdy) Canopy Lodge, acting on several requests from my esteemed alums :)  See video on the lodge and detailed itinerary below, and contact me if interested.
Canopy Lodge Panama

| | |

| |
Canopy Lodge Panama
The Canopy Lodge is a beautiful ecolodge set in the foothills of El Valle de Anton, Panama. Surrounded by lush c... | |

Cheers,Kannan
Day 1 - December 17 Fly into Panama City and stay overnight at the Mediterranean Hotel
Day 2 – December 18Transfer to Canopy Lodge, Orientation, Canopy Lodge Grounds/FeederAfter breakfast, our driver will transfer you to the Canopy Lodge, located in mountains El Valle de Antón, nestled against the cloud forests of Cerro Gaital Natural Monument. At 2,400-feet in elevation, you will immediately appreciate the noticeably cooler temperatures here!  A member of our staff will greet you as you arrive at the Lodge, and you will be provided with an orientation on the use of the facilities.  At this time we will answer any questions you may have.  As your luggage is being ferried to your room, or after you get settled in, you may visit the dining area and enjoy a refreshing drink and snack.  You will immediately want to scan the bird feeders and grounds!  Dinner at CANOPY LODGE.Day 3 – December 19AM: Las Minas Trail (20 min. from Canopy Lodge)After breakfast, we head to Las Minas, an excellent place to get a wide variety of birds.  The road follows the ridge line, with sweeping vistas of forested mountains, speckled with grasslands and small fincas.  The views from here are fantastic, as on a clear day near the summit, both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans can be seen!  We get back in time for lunch at the CANOPY LODGE.PM: Cara iguana (15 min. from Canopy Lodge)With a full stomach and some rest, we head to Cara Iguana Trail, where we enjoy outstanding foothill birding in some of the last remaining examples of quality Dry Pacific Forest.  Dinner at CANOPY LODGE.Day 4 – December 20
AM: La Mesa Road (15 min. from Canopy Lodge)After breakfast, we continue our quest for more lifers with a trip to La Mesa Road.  This area, which is a visually pleasing blend of secondary forest, scrubby pastures, overgrown fincas and grassy borders, is home to many of the area’s specialties.  Lunch at CANOPY LODGE.PM: Water Cress Trail (15 min. from Canopy Lodge)After lunch we are off to water cress trail, named after the herb which is commercially grown in the terraced creek near the entrance.  This easy trail traverses through good secondary forest, which is framed by picturesque forested mountains of Cerro Gaital Natural Monument.  We will also listen for Purplish-backed Quail-Dove.  Dinner at CANOPY LODGE.Day 5 – December 21
Pacific Dry Forest & Santa Clara Beach (45 min. from Canopy Lodge) FULL DAYAfter breakfast we are off for a full day of birding in the Pacific Dry Forest and its wonderful suite of birds!  We enjoy a picnic lunch at a popular beach at Santa Clara where we hope to spot Sapphire-throated Hummingbird working the coastal shrubbery.  You may want to bring your bathing suits to take a dip in the warm waters of the Pacific Ocean (83F/28C).  Dinner at CANOPY LODGE.Day 6 – December 22
AM: Cerro Gaital (20 min. from Canopy Lodge)Today after breakfast, we proceed to Cerro Gaital, a steep, forested, mist-shrouded mountain that you see from the lodge!  Cerro Gaital (3,500’) is the namesake of Cerro Gaital Natural Monument, which protects more than 335 hectares of mature cloud forest.  Back for lunch at the CANOPY LODGE.PM: Valle Chiquito (20 min. from Canopy Lodge)After lunch we are off to Valle Chiquito!  This valley is accessible by a newly paved road and passes through nicely forested woodlands crossed by two rivers.  Dinner at CANOPY LODGE.Day 7 – December 23
Departure to Airport (about 3 hrs. from Canopy Lodge)Leave for Panama airport (PTY) very early for flight leaving 9.15 a.m. appx return to USFor more complete description of the facilities and the comprehensive list of bird species please visit canopy Tower web page at www.canopytower.com and http://www.canopytower.com/species-listFor non-birders who may be interested in this tour or who are accompanying the birding enthusiast on this tour feel free to look at some of the other points of interest on offer athttp://www.canopytower.com/activities-for-everyone Double room or single room:  $2,139.00 per personCorner rooms:  US$2,289.00 per person Includes:  Airport transfers, lodging in double occupancy, all meals, bilingual professional guides, all tours mentioned in the itinerary, natural fruit juices, sodas, wine at dinner time, all taxes, WIFI, entrance fees to national parks as mentioned in the itinerary, snacks and beverages during all outings.  Please check with our reservations office for the times of our scheduled airport transfers to coordinate your arrival and departure times.
Not included: Hotel stay the first night at Panama City; international airfare.Deposit:  US$300.00 per person, non-refundable.

Join us on Facebook!