Date: 5/5/17 2:33 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: MULHOLLAN BLIND, FLOOD, MIGRANTS
The heavy (8 inches+) rain of April 28 produced a flood at Lake Fayetteville that I measured this morning at Mulhollan Blind. Rose at least 5 feet above ground. Water came all the way up to the blind’s lower viewing ports. Ducks we usually observe swimming out on the lake may have been swimming in the blind! BUT now, water down, blind OK.

Kelly and Donna Mulhollan went out there May 2 and swept things out. Mulhollan Blind decided Open For Business.

Besides visiting our now proven-sturdy blind, I took my mile or so loop walk today and saw interesting migrants. Out on the lake: Canada Goose (1), Double-crested Cormorant (7), Tree Swallow (2), and a Fish Crow with what seemed to me a particularly extended southern drawl. Land birds: Least Flycatcher (2), Great Crested Flycatcher (1), White-eyed Vireo (2), Bell’s Vireo (1), Blue-headed Vireo (1), Philadelphia (?) Vireo (1; much like Red-eyed, but a lot slower, “cleaner”), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (3), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (3), Eastern Bluebird (2; I think nesting in box); Gray-cheeked Thrush (1), Swainson’s Thrush (6), Northern Paula (2), Yellow-rumped Warbler (1), Black-and-white Warbler (2), Northern Waterthrush (3); Common Yellowthroat (2); Lincoln’s Sparrow (2; now commonly singing); White-crowned Sparrow (3, at Mary Bess Mulhollan’s feeders at Botanical Garden); Indigo Bunting (2, including one that is still brownish, also at feeders); Baltimore Oriole (1).

I have worried about vandalism, but never thought about flood. This was a BIG flood with a lot of force. Michael Cockram's design has stood up to a BIG test. After Kelly and Donna’s clean up, it is good as new.

Join us on Facebook!