Date: 5/4/17 10:18 pm
From: George R. Hoelzeman <vogel...>
Subject: Art for the Birds Reception
Since several members of this list are involved, I thought I'd post this
article from the Petit Jean Country Headlight in Morrilton. Its pretty
self-explanatory and we're looking forward to hearing Bill Thurman play
and hearing Cindy and Bill Franklin speak. Hope some of you can make it
on Saturday!

The Rialto Gallery in Morrilton will host the third annual “Art for the
Birds” exhibit, coordinated this year by Artists in Our Midst, a new
group for area artists.A reception will be held at the Rialto Gallery at
212 E. Broadway in Morrilton on Saturday 6 May 2017 from 3:00-5:00pm.The
reception will feature live birds with Adrianne Mock, live music by
recording artist and violinist Bill Thurman, a special presentation by
Bill and Cindy Franklin of Little Rock, awards and great food. The
public is invited and all are welcome.The exhibit features over 50 works
by around 20 artists.

The Rialto Gallery is adjacent to the historic Rialto Theater in
downtown Morrilton.Once the location of Massey Hardware, the Gallery
hosts several exhibits and other events each year.George R. Hoelzeman
has returned as Gallery Director and many new projects are being planned
in collaboration with the Rialto Community Arts Center’s new Board of
Directors.The Gallery is currently open by appointment and for special
events.It also hosts an open studio night on Tuesday evenings at 6:00pm

The Artists in Our Midst group was organized in August of 2016 by five
local artists dedicated to promoting the Arts and Artists in Conway
County and beyond.Today the group has over 250 members and organizes art
exhibits and events at the Morrilton Area Chamber of Commerce, Morrilton
City Hall, UACCM’s Library, Movie House Winery, the Rialto Gallery and
the soon to open Big Cuppa Coffee Shop.Membership is open to all artists
and supporters of all ages and skill levels.Interested individuals and
groups can contact the group coordinator at <ghoelzeman...>
<mailto:<ghoelzeman...> or through the Artists in Our Midst
Facebook page.

A special feature of the reception will be "Birding Around the Southern
Cone of South America" by Bill and Cindy Franklin of Little Rock.Cindy
Franklin has had a lifelong interest in gardening and bird watching that
began when she was growing up on a dairy farm in Pennsylvania.She and
her husband, Bill, are members of the Audubon Society of Central
Arkansas and the Arkansas Audubon Society. Cindy maintains a pollinator
garden in her yard as well as a seasonal hummingbird feeding station for
the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

In February & March 2016 Bill & Cindy spent 24 days in southern
Argentina and Chile on a Wings tour sampling a variety of habitats from
Iguazu Falls in northeastern Argentina to Ushuaia in Terra del Fuego to
the high Andes east of Santiago, Chile. They traveled approximately
6,000 miles by air, land, and sea from Buenos Aires to Valpraiso,
Chile. This presentation provides a brief overview of each area they
visited and general observations about land & sea birds and animals, and
some of the environmental challenges evident in selected areas.

Musician, composer and recording artist Bill Thurman will be providing
live music during the reception.A graduate of the University of Memphis,
Bill has recently recorded a new CD, “Nothing but Fiddle and a Sarcoma
Survivor” which celebrates his passion for music and overcoming
cancer.Bill is also an avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and a member of
the Birds of Arkansas Discussion Group.

Adrianne Mock also returns with her (very real) birds.Adrianne has been
dedicated to the rescue and care of exotic birds, particularly various
parrots, macaws, cockatoos and other such species for many years.Each
year she has brought a new feathered guest or three, which are always an
attraction for young and old.

For more information contact George R. Hoelzeman at <ghoelzeman...>
<mailto:<ghoelzeman...>.We look forward to seeing you on May 6 for
the Art for the Birds III reception.

Join us on Facebook!