Date: 5/4/17 6:18 pm
From: Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Boone and Wheeler Counties, mostly
Not Ebird

Nice day so we headed west to see if we could find some shorebirds in these counties after the snow and rain presumably left water there. It did, but the shorbs were still very few. We drove through Norfolk nd decided to check a spot where we'd found some shorbs a couple years ago. Good choice. Few numbers but good bids. Next stop Boone County. We drove Beaver Creek Road and although there was lots of water there were few birds. We drove a bit through Greeley County to reach Wheeler County. We checked the lake at Spalding and around town before heading to Pibel Lake. Below are the highlights of what we found.

Madison County, from hwy. 121 east on 1/2Mile Road:
Pectoral Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs
American Avocet - a single bird
Least Sandpiper
Hudsonian Godwit - a single bird
Sanderling
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Wood Duck
2 miles north of Meadowgrove on a County road:
Forester's Tern - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Brewer's Blackbird
Harris's Sparrow
Red-headed Woodpecker
Loggerhead Shrike

Antelope County mudhole:
Solitary Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper

Boone County:
Wood Duck
Orange-crowned Warbler (only one we saw today)
Sora- heard two
Turkey - 6
Long-billed Dowitcher - 6
Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs (mostly greater)
Wilson's Phalarope
Still Sandpiper - 3
Great Horned Owl

Greeley County - Spalding:
Turkey
Great Horned Owl
Bald Eagle - 1 adult
Ruddy Duck - 12
Double-crested Cormorant
Cooper's Hawk

Wheeler County - Pibel Lake:
Harris's Sparrow
Common Loon - 1 in basic plumage, picture available
Several Canada Geese and approximately 20 new goslings

The first three miles east of the intersection of hwys 281 and 70:
(Most of the water today was in this area)
Marbled Godwit
Hudsonian Godwit
Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs
Green-winged Teal - 2
No. Pintail - 4
Wilson's Phalarope - 8-10
Pectoral Sandpiper
Willet - 2
Stilt Sandpiper - at least 12
Wood Duck
Forester's Tern - 1
Yellow-headed Blackbird - between 75-100
Long-billed Dowitcher - over 100!!!

Jan Johnson
Wakefield, Dixon County

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bird-brained-quilter/