Date: 5/3/17 1:46 pm
From: Clem Klaphake <ckavian...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Re: New Member-What I've Seen
Brenda (I'm assuming that is your name) it always helps if you sign your
posts with your name and where you live
(you did the latter) so people can address you.

It is not too early to put out both Hummingbird and/or Oriole feeders.
Both species are showing up here in the metro area.
Baltimore Orioles are fairly common here in eastern Nebraska every
year. There are Oriole feeders you can buy and the best
food to put in it is grape jelly. However, sometimes it can take awhile
before the birds find it - depends on the neighborhood
and habitat - new housing development with no trees or very small one
versus one that has lots of large trees.

A book for birds? If you are looking for something to help you identify
birds a Sibley Field Guide book is very useful. You can
purchase the large version of Sibley which covers all birds in North
America or he has split them into 2 smaller version - eastern
birds of North America or western birds of North America. If you are
not planning on birding much west of Kearney, Colorado, Wy, west coast
etc., the eastern version is sufficient. Most birds we see in eastern
Nebraska are in the eastern version.

If you have any other questions I would be glad to try and answer them
for you.

Welcome to NEBirds and the birding community in Nebraska.

Clem Klaphake
Bellevue, NE

Posted by: Clem Klaphake <ckavian...>

<*> Your email settings: