Date: 5/2/17 11:48 am
From: Alyssa DeRubeis <alderubeis...>
Subject: Lapland Longspurs, others (Washington Co.)
I'm starting to poke around at my field sites and visited Woolsey Wet
Prairie in Fayetteville this morning. Anant Deshwal and Marc Klein joined
me.

The highlight was two LAPLAND LONGSPURS flying over. I got a good look at
the black head that extended a little bit down the sides. They were
bluebird sized and shaped, and did not have an undulating flight. I've seen
this species before and can't think of what else it could be. This was on
the west side of the property and they were headed south. I'm wondering if
the recent storm system got them turned around.

Other birds spotted and/or heard this morning: Northern Bobwhite, Great
Blue Heron, Cattle Egret, Green Heron, American Kestrel (pair), Lesser
Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Warbling Vireo, Indigo Bunting, Blue
Grosbeak, Dickcissel, Prairie Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat,
Savanna Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, and Baltimore Oriole, among many of the
prolific species (e.g. Eastern Meadowlark, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher,
Eastern Kingbird, etc.).

Cedar Waxwings are still around as of today. Sunday morning I heard a
White-crowned Sparrow singing outside my apartment. I have seen/heard
White-throated Sparrows recently as well.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Fayetteville, Washington Co.

Join us on Facebook!