Date: 5/2/17 11:44 am
From: Dottie Boyles <ctboyles...>
Subject: Murray Park -Little Rock
I ran down to Murray Park for a few minutes during my lunch hour. Thanks
to Herschel Raney's post about singing Baltimore Orioles, I heard one
making 'single call' notes in a tree to the right of the boat ramp and was
able to locate it. Had a loooong .002 second look before he disappeared in
some leaves before flying off to another tree to sing. I think I heard the
Warbling Vireo singing, but couldn't find which tree it was in. I heard,
then saw it when I was there last week.

The Arkansas River is way up and a poor Chickadee is feeding babies in a
dead snag that is now not far from the waters edge. The berries on the
Mulberry Tree by the boat ramp are still not quite ripe, but three Cedar
Waxwings appeared to be guarding it anyway. There were no birds in the
other Mulberry Tree to the west. I also spotted a Spotted Sandpiper by the
ramp.

Driving around I discovered two Northern Mockingbirds in a serious
disagreement about something. It was quite an aerial display that sometimes
included a third mockingbird. I watched the fight for several minutes
before they moved out-of-sight. A shadow caught my eye and I looked up to
discover another fight, this one involving two Eastern Kingbirds, joined by
another mockingbird, all ganging up on a Fish Crow. The team effort was
successful as the crow gave up and left. Also had a great view of a
Red-headed Woodpecker. Last week there were two Killdeer there, one came to
check out my car, decided I was safely tucked inside and moved on. Today I
could only see one.

I made a quick run to the pavilion area to look for Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers, but there were none.

Dottie Boyles (sure was hard to leave and come back to work)
Little Rock

Join us on Facebook!