Date: 5/2/17 9:08 am
From: Eilish Palmer <0000018ca1a6d960-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Whooping Cranes and other rare birds

m a lurker here, as I'm more wildlife photographer than birder. But above all, I am a conservationist. I was unaware of the presence of the Whooping Cranes until one of my fellow photographers posted photos of them a couple of weeks ago explaining he had been holding on to them for a while. Was there a split second where I wondered why I wasn't trusted enough to be told? Yes. But it was quickly replaced by happiness and relief that the welfare of the birds was put first. Because all too often that doesn't happen. Especially in the wildlife photography community. The sharing of wildlife locations has resulted in crowds of photographers showing up, some unethical who put getting good photos before the welfare of the animal. Up north, social media and eBird have made it easy to share locations of Great Gray and Snowy Owls. And that information has led to many unethical photographers showing up with store bought mice they use to bait the owls so they can get those flying straight at the camera shots. So if my not being told means other less ethical photographers aren't getting that information either, then I'm fine being left in the dark. Here is a link to a story about how sharing locations of birds, like GG owls, can have negative consequences. I'm proud to call Michael Furtman a friend. If you're on Facebook you should check out his page as he is leading the battle to stop the baiting of owls.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/03/13/owl-feeding-controversy-ruffles-feathers

Eilish Palmer
Lady with a Camera Photography

Sent from my iPhone