Date: 5/2/17 7:34 am
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Whoopers
Karen,
I don't think we have met, but I approve of your style and love this email. Thank you very much.
Glenn WyattCabot

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Karen And Jim Rowe<00000131a1cf8fbc-dmarc-request...> wrote: AGFC cannot tell individuals what to do unless it is stated in a regulation which is, at the minimum a 3 month process.
I can strongly urge people to do or not to do something, which is exactly what Dan did.  If that leaves a "gray area" as to whether or not someone pursues a bird then so be it.  AGFC cannot legislate or regulate unethical behavior on our duck hunting areas any more than we can "order" birders to not pursue a bird.
After my initial post, I have received a large number of emails, some from noted state birders, many from new friends I had never heard from before, relating stories of bird photographers birding with them in a group who have severely harassed birds in order to get the best photo possible.  They also related instances of birders who harass birds so that everyone in a large group of gets a close look with the naked eye at a relatively uncommon migrant.  Apparently there is a good number of people concerned about the unethical birding and unethical bird photography they continue to witness.
I think our problem as birders in AR is not whether a group of friends who bird together should be labeled as a clique, or if someone who sees a rare bird is morally responsible to report its exact location to each and everyone in the state who likes to observe or photograph.
I think the problem is an ethical one.  Do we move in and flush a flock of feeding birds, who are trying to tank up on macroinvertebrates in order to amass the energy required to migrate to South America, just so we can get that one really cool photograph?  Does a photograph justify the energy the long distant migrants just lost/wasted by our purposeful flush?
And lastly, is observing unethical behavior something we keep quiet about, or whisper about to each other behind the offender's back?  Or is it time to stand up for the birds and call out this unethical behavior to the offender, and if needed to others present.?  Can you handle another birder being mad at you because you tried to politely point out to the offender and a few others present that the continued excessive use of a playback call is driving the male warbler to exhaustion and is preventing him from providing food for his nestlings?WWAEBD?What would an ethical birder do?
Karen Rowe KARO (because I like to use 4 letter bird codes)
Sent from my iPhone
On May 2, 2017, at 7:41 AM, David Ray <cardcards...> wrote:

I think that this situation and all future situations like this could easily be avoided by the AG&F and the AAS by posting the message "THESE BIRDS ARE NOT TO BE PURSUED".  This eliminates any question as to whether or not it is proper to search out the bird and leaves it in the hands of individuals and their own set of ethics whether to violate the request. I personally got from the original post that this was a non pursuit situation with these whoopers, especially when the location was specifically left out. Others evidently did not, which is what happens when things are left in gray areas instead of black and white. Am I upset I didn't see the birds? No. There will be others either here or somewhere else that are okay to be viewed with no questions asked. David Ray NLR

Sent from my iPhone
On May 1, 2017, at 10:41 PM, David Starrett <StarrettDA...> wrote:

Last weekend we attended the Lesser Prairie-Chicken Festival in Woodward, OK.  Because of thesignificant loss of chickens, habitat and foodsource due to the wildfires in western KS and OK earlier this year, there isconcern for the continued survival of this very range-limited species.  While it was open toanyone, everyone in the bus who saw the chickens (we saw 10 males!) was asked to not pin theexact location in eBird but put in a general location.  Over 8 days of the festival a few pins were put in but all followed theinstructions.  It seemed reasonable to us and I was glad to help keep thelocation unknown for thetime being to help minimize risk to them.  But, anyone could havesigned up for the festival.

Dave

David Starrett
Columbia, MO