Date: 5/2/17 6:53 am
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Whoopers
David,

I told myself I wouldn’t send any more emails on this subject.  But your post left an opening for me to explain why I brought this up at all.

I had heard about the Whoopers.  So I called and asked a birder friend about them and was told they didn’t want anybody up there disturbing the birds.  In other words, they were off limits.  So I accepted what I was told and never went up.  End of subject.  Except it wasn’t.  Just recently, people started posting their amazing photos of the cranes.  One of the popular facebook pages for posting bird photos even make it their cover photo.  They were seemingly rubbing it in our faces that they all got to go see birds that the rest of us couldn’t.  And that is when it hit me, these people tell me the cranes were off limits, but obviously they weren’t off limits to them.  That made me start wondering why the rules applied to some of us, but not to all of us.

If you go back and look at the emails from the people who support the cranes being off limits, you will find that most of them went up to see the birds.  So they support the rules, it just appears they feel like the rules don’t apply to them.  And this isn’t an isolated incident.  An example, I was aware of an owl nest close to the road.  Very close.  I went there several times over the last 2 years and never saw the mom, never saw the babies.  It seems the birds were always inside the tree.  Well I was told they were not making the location public because they “didn’t want too many people calling the owls off the nest”.  Did you get that?  It was okay for this person to call them out to get a good photo, but it would probably be bad if too many people did it.  So, it is alright if certain birders disturb the owls as long as the rest of us don’t.  I hear down in the Rio Grande Valley it is illegal to use playback on birds.  If I had my way it would be that way in Arkansas, and those playback programs would all be banned.  And yes, I have used them as well, to a limited extent.

So, bottom line - if you people in charge of making up these birding rules want to impose these rules on the rest of us, make darn sure those rules apply to you as well.  Just please please don't tell us a bird is off limits then start posting the photos you took while you were viewing those off limit birds.
Respectfully,Glenn WyattCabot