Date: 5/1/17 7:37 pm
From: CK Franklin <meshoppen...>
Subject: Re: Whooping Cranes
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Barry.

Barry's analysis of the Arkansas birding community is spot on. I've had the privilege of birding in Arkansas for more than a few years and I have always found the birders in this state to be a most generous group in sharing sightings and helping less skilled birders learn how to sort out the birds being seen. Because of their combined efforts, I am a much better birder than I used to be although I still have spectacular failures from time to time. Strange as it may sound, I appreciate being tutored during those episodes. And I am always thankful when acknowledged experts like Kenny, Joe, Herschel, and many others take time to speak with me by phone or email.

Barry's observations about different birding styles & preferences are also true. Some people are dedicated chasers. I fall into the lackadaisical "depends" chaser category. Whether or not I am willing to drive to see a bird depends of how rare it is, where is it, have I seen it before, & what other irons I have in the fire at the time. You betcha I hustled on over to Joe Hogan Hatchery on a recuperating post op knee to see that once-in-a-lifetime Sharp-tailed Sandpiper last fall. There are many birds I've missed over the years because of work priorities, missed emails, or the quantum nemesis relationships we all have with certain birds.

I witnessed the circus the Brambling caused a couple of years ago. The host was willing although I don't think he understood beforehand what a commotion that sighting would ignite. I made a trip out to the house with Karen Holliday in our official Audubon capacities after the fact to thank him and his family for putting up with us.

Given the unique nature of this one occurrence, I, too, agree with Karen Rowe about keeping the exact location of these birds secret to protect them from harm. I knew the birds were over in eastern Arkansas. I assumed they were in Desha County. Word of these particular birds had spread as far south as Marianna. Bill B & I made several trips over to East Arkansas looking for Sandhill Cranes this winter & we asked every farmer or hunter who stopped to see what we were doing if they had seen any Sandhills. A group of hunters in Marianna had not seen Sandhills but specifically mentioned the cranes' presence. They did not offer a location & we did not ask.

Some of you are going to ask did I go see them. The opportunity arose & yes, I did. The field they frequented was along a very busy two lane road full of big trucks and speeding cars and not the best shoulders to pull off on. These birds had no fear of humans or cars and would walk right up to you if given the chance. This was not a tenable situation for the birds or us & it was not going to end well. Some time later one of the birds walked out in front of a big truck & was killed. It could just as easily have happened to one or more of us not paying attention to the dangerous high speed traffic whizzing by mere inches away. It could have happened to an AGFC or police officer hit by a distracted driver while doing their job.

In retrospect this was a very dangerous location for all concerned. The decision not to publicize the location was the correct one in this particular situation. Those people who went to see the birds were asked not to disclose the location for all the reasons that have been advanced. That the location was not publicly disclosed speaks well of the people who were there and who recognized how dangerous the situation was for them and how much more dangerous it could become if crowds of birders and photographers descended on the area.

I am sorry more people did not get to view these birds. I am not sorry that I kept the location secret, and by doing so, ensured that I was not the indirect cause of the death of a friend or birding acquaintance.

Cindy Franklin
Little Rock