Date: 5/1/17 11:02 am
From: Judy & Don <9waterfall9...>
Subject: "After the Deluge II" NWAAS Field Trip at Ninestone
Ten intrepid birders ventured forth to Ninestone Sunday morning following floods throughout the region. Total rainfall for the past ten days was nearly 13 inches here at Ninestone from recent storms. Initially, we birded the front yard while a brief smattering of drizzle that trailed behind the heavy rains was blown off to the east, perhaps along with any "fallout" warblers. Although it had receded several feet overnight the creek was still so loud that we moved up toward the bluff where it was a fine day for hearing and spotting birds, hiking trails, exploring the bluff glade, viewing the flood patterns and course of the stream from above. There was much interest in the saturated lushness of moss, lichens and ferns beside rivulets in the forest or growing on sandstone formations. The sun even peeked through to illuminate the roaring frothy waterfall while we ate lunch on the deck and watched birds at the feeding stations.

Thanks so much to everyone who attended and shared a wonderful day!!!

Many of the birds I see daily were inaudible due to the water, inaccessible in other habitats across the creek, being very quiet, or just elsewhere after the deluge, but here's what we did see and hear. Please excuse me, I didn't count all individual birds.

Turkey Vulture
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Mourning Dove - several at ground feeder
Great Horned Owl - 1 adult, 1 fledgling
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - numerous at feeders
Red-headed Woodpecker - 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Eastern Phoebe
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Warbling Vireo -1
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay - numerous
American Crow - 4 at feeder
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren - adults and fledglings
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Eastern Bluebird
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing - flock in treetop
Blue-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler - 1 or 2 high in oaks
Yellow-throated Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Summer Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - males and females
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting - several
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole