Date: 4/30/17 6:24 pm
From: Herschel Raney <herschel.raney...>
Subject: Weekend update
Nineteen Warbler weekend. This morning, after the deluge, the creek
noise was so loud I had trouble hearing the birds. Over past the bridge
where we feed the raccoons, the water, for the first time in many years,
ran over the road and washed gravel towards the main creek. I can only
say that if my house floods, you are all dead, everyone out there.

While shoveling the gravel back onto the road, I heard what sounded like
a chat. I moved towards the sound, cupping my ears, and had a White-eyed
Vireo approach to make sure I wasn’t looking to eat vireo eggs. The
expert chat mimic was either my local Brown Thrashers, actually
mimicking some real birds, or a catbird among the many skulking catbirds
around this morning. I don’t normally hear them doing their full song as
they head north. I have heard them in Montana.

Yesterday, after sitting on the porch at dawn, and having a male
Ruby-throat check every bloom on a 200 bloom Plectranthus sitting next
to me, I was guilted into putting up the first sugar feeder. It took
only a few minutes for the male to find it. I think two males are coming
as well as one very alert and cautious female. She sneaks through the
brush for arrival at the sugar.

And due to the raccoons, I now have to put out suet cakes and take them
in at dark every day. The Red-bellied Woodpeckers made me feel low and
useless checking every day for new suet to appear on the tree feeder.
Cough coughing and backing down the tree to repeated emptiness. What
kind of human am I? They immediately fed after I put up a ¼ cake. The
male would eat and eat and then fill the bill for a trip east toward
some woodbabies I assume. He comes all day.

Blackburnian and Golden-winged Warblers sneaking through silently today.
One tree with both and some very noisy Tennessee and Black-throated
Greens. You never know what you raise your binoculars to this time of year.

The first Cuckoo called in the windy dusk tonight. A signal bird for
this woodland, along with Indigo Buntings, Mississippi Kites, Great
Crested Flycatchers and Broad-winged Hawks. I am glad to hear them. I
always will be.

I hope the Ninestone crew had a good day today.

(And thanks to Karen for the Whooper post.)

Herschel Raney

Conway AR

Join us on Facebook!