Date: 4/30/17 12:27 pm
From: Jim and Karen Rowe <00000131a1cf8fbc-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Whooping Cranes and other rare birds
"First, do no harm".

Glen and David:
A Game and Fish Biologist (not me) was informed by one of the agency's field personnel about the presence and location of the 2 individuals from the experimental Eastern population of Whooping Cranes.  The officer and biologist discussed potential threats to the birds due to the fact birds had little to no fear of humans, vehicles or basically anything.  Due to the fact  there is usually a huge response by the public (both casual and avid birders) to the report of the location of rare birds, especially Whooping Cranes, the Game and Fish biologist talked with a member of Audubon Arkansas and explained that 2 young birds from the Experimental Eastern Whooping Crane Population were present in the state but that they were not going to release the location for the safety of the birds.
Dan Scheiman posted the following in Arbirds in January 2017:For the record, on January 10 there were (and might still be) two banded WHOOPING CRANES on private land in eastern Arkansas. They are from the eastern migratory population established by the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership (http://www.bringbackthecranes.org) and are being tracked by WCEP and AGFC. I wouldn't tell you where they are exactly even if I knew. Its just exciting to know that this species is once again a part of our avifauna, if marginally.

Dan Scheiman
Little Rock, AR
A month or two after Dan's post, I was contacted by several individuals that observed the cranes and each  person was very concerned about their safety.  Each person told me that they now realized why their location was not being made public.  I was impressed by these individuals' deep concern for the birds and desire to keep people from inadvertently drawing them to the roads by parking along the road to take photos.  They each reported that the crane's approached their vehicles and had a complete lack of fear of people and vehicles.  One person observed a crane in the road.  Each person told me that  when the birds moved toward them, they left the area.  I never detected an air of elitism; or smugness by these birders  because others didn't know where the cranes were.  They simply discovered the birds and then discovered how extremely vulnerable they were and wanted to tell me about the crane's extremely tame behavior out of concern for their safety.
AGFC had considered hazing the cranes to what we hoped would be a safer location, but hazing was not done because of the extended snow goose season.  We did not want to move the cranes into an area where they could mix with a flock of snow geese and get shot.  There was snow goose hunting going occurring  in that area. An AGFC officer made daily (often twice daily) visits to check on the cranes.
Glenn, you asked in your post "did it work".  One crane lived to migrate towards WI.  I feel it is a success given that I was pessimistic about the survival of either crane.  Oh, and the crane wasn't hit by a car, it was hit by a semi-truck.  The crane, the leg bands and the transmitter were each found in many pieces.
I'd also like to address your comment about parking alongside a public road, so you and others reading this do not get ticketed.  It is against Arkansas law to pull over to the side of a state highway or state maintained road or park alongside a public road unless is it an emergency.  Most counties have similar regulations for county roads.  My guess is birding does not constitute an emergency.
 I read that a person wrote that the lack of someone telling everyone on the listserve the Whopping Crane locations have destroyed their faith in birders.  I have had the complete opposite reaction.  These birders' deep concern for the safety of the birds, placed over their own desire to bring all their fellow birders to view the birds, has restored my faith in avid birders' dedication to conservation.
I'm not sure how many folks on here are familiar with the American Birding Association .  What is interesting is that the people who found the cranes but did not report the location to the entire listerve or post it on a Facebook page  were  following the American Birding Association's Birding Ethics rule 1c:(c) Before advertising the presence of a rare bird, evaluate the potential for disturbance to the bird, its surroundings, and other people in the area, and proceed only if access can be controlled, disturbance minimized, and permission has been obtained from private landowners. The sites of rare nesting birds should be divulged only to the proper conservation authorities.
The  ABA's Code of Bird Ethics can be found here: http://listing.aba.org/ethics/
Karen Rowe   (who did not go and see the Whooping Cranes)