Date: 4/30/17 9:32 am
From: Sally Jo Gibson <sjogibson...>
Subject: Re: Whooping Cranes and other rare birds
David & Glenn,
I agree with both of you. When I read the post where one of the birders from the SW part of Arkansas had tried to get someone “Banned” from posting on this list, I was appalled. I know who he was trying to get banned. This person (one of my former students) has contributed so much to the education of and in getting non-birders involved, not only in birding but in the environment as well. I just could hardly believe the arrogance of someone who thinks so highly of himself that he would make an attempt to ban anyone from this list. I know where I stand on the level of my birding. (I have a master’s degree in music education, not in ornithology.) However, as a teacher, one of my students once told me that he saw my role as a teacher as being an encourager. So now, as an old woman, I see my role as a birder to encourage non-birders to become aware of birds. That’s the reason for my posting pictures on Facebook. You’d be surprised how many former students and friends have become interested in birding, just from seeing my bird pictures. (I am also not a professional photographer. I just love to take bird pictures from my enclosed back porch that I refer to as Birdsview Solarium.)
I don’t want anyone banned from this site. We all have a niche to fill in this journey called life.
Sally Jo Gibson
Harrison, AR