Date: 4/30/17 8:31 am
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Weekend Birding- Douglas/ Sarpy Co.
     On 4/27 after work, I headed to Western Douglas Co. where I happened to meet up with Brian Peterson at the 234th St. Wetlands.
A few species here included....

-2 American Bittern (One observed briefly in flight, and another calling in snippets from the reeds)
-2 Sora (Heard only.  Possibly three birds)
-3 Marsh Wren
 From there, Brian followed me to Skyline Drive to listen for Whip-poor-wills.  Unfortunately we were unable to hear any.

4/28-
Due to the November-like weather I stuck close to home and birded Mercer Woods and Orchard Hill Greenstrip.
At Orchard Hill a few species included...
-1 Barred Owl
-1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
-1 Gray Catbird (Present for a few days now)
-1 Black-and-White Warbler
-6 Orange-crowned Warbler
-1 Mysterious ringing song deep in the underbrush.  Only sang twice, but sounded like a cross between an unexperienced Ovenbird and the alternate song of Hooded Warbler.  I never got a visual.
4/29-
Clem Klapake and I made an early morning trek to Lauritzen Gardens where we tallied 44 species.  A few of these included...
-2 Cooper's Hawk
-1 Solitary Sandpiper (At Japanese Garden pond.  So would that make it a Terek Sandpiper?)
-1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Stepping very aggressively toward a White-throated Sparrow)
-1 Warbling Vireo (Singing rather silently from lower parking lot area)
-1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
-5 Brown Thrasher
-1 Black-and-White Warbler
-13 Orange-crowned Warbler
-3 Nashville Warbler (One visual)
-5 Clay-colored Sparrow
-1 White-crowned Sparrow
-17 Harris's Sparrow
-4 Lincoln's Sparrow
When I returned back home and walked around Mercer Woods, a male RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was still present.

Sarpy Co.-
Still later in the evening, I went to check on Al Reyer's aforementioned Loon species which was indeed a COMMON LOON, though a bit mottled.  Other species at Heros Park included a pair of SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, and a lone SNOW GOOSE with a pair of Canada Geese.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!