Date: 4/30/17 7:27 am
From: <petermhill...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Saw-whet taunting me
Went for a walk down in the valley behind our house this morning, and heard the No. Saw-whet Owl that I occasionally hear at night vocalizing for 5-30 seconds at a pop, at times seemingly pretty close. The habitat is "pine ridge" formation ponderosa woods, but it is not that densely forested. I searched the dozens of trees in the vicinity where it seemed to be calling - high and low - but could not locate the sneaky little sucker. Wayne Mollhoff has placed 2 owl boxes on our land, neither of which seems to be in-use, but the NSWO was calling within a couple hundred yards of one of them. I sent him an email to let him know, along with a short video I took while the owl was calling. He will be back out here in the next couple of days for a site visit, and maybe will have better luck than I.

Pretty quiet otherwise on this frosty morning. Our resident Pygmy Nuthatches, Eastern & Mountain Bluebirds, and Red Crossbills were all being pretty active. No warblers whatsoever, although I have seen lots of Yellow-rumps (both subspecies) elsewhere in the area over this past week.

Peter Hill
Rural Whiteclay
Sheridan County

Join us on Facebook!