Date: 4/30/17 7:13 am
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Whooping Cranes and other rare birds
Since joining this list service, I have tried to be a good member.  I try to always let people know when I spot a rare, or uncommon bird.  Or a bird I believe to be unusual, or possibly never seen in a particular area before.  I thought that was the point.  Recently, I have learned that if the bird is really rare or special, there is a group of birders who keep them secret and conspire to keep that information from us “common” birders.  For instance, two Whooping Cranes were spotted near Cherry Valley.  It is my understanding that Whooping Cranes haven’t been spotted in Arkansas in about 100 years.  Instead of giving birders notice so we can all go and see this beautiful bird, a group of birding insiders kept it to themselves.  Sure, they told their friends, and took their families up to see them.  But they all agreed to not tell the rest of us until the birds were gone.  Why?  Well, they say it was because they wanted to protect the birds?  Did it work?  No.  One of the birds was eventually hit by a car and killed.  Perhaps, if a couple cars of birders were parked alongside the road at the time, getting to see a rare bird, that car would have slowed down and become aware of the crane and not killed it.  Perhaps.  The birds were easily seen from a public road.  I have to say, this has totally destroyed my faith in birders that I used to look up to.  I believed they were in this so all birders can enjoy seeing birds.  But, evidently, there is an insider group that are allowed to know when a rare bird is in the state, while the rest of us are not.  Since I believe in following the rules, as established by these insiders, I will no longer report a rare or unusual bird until I know it has left the area.  I will not report my birds on eBird until at least 2 weeks after the fact.  It is only right that we all follow the same rules.

Glenn Wyatt
Cabot, AR

Join us on Facebook!